Part of the defensive barracks Kronprinz
Address: Litovskiy Val st., 38, Kaliningrad
The monument of military and engineer architecture, an object of cultural and historical heritage, protected by the state on the federal level.
Construction time: 1843 -1849
Total area: 1674,3 m2
Number of storeys: 3, nowadays 2 storeys are destroyed
After the restoration it’s planned to renew the inner space and the roof, which will help to increase floor space up to 4 storeys and 4000 m2
Koenigsberg’s fortification system was first erected in 1255 together with the building of the fortress itself. In 1626 three towns – namely Altstadt, Loebenicht and Kneiphof – built a united network of fortification, due to growing demands for fortification, as everything made by knights needed a fundamental reconstruction.
A new milestone in the city’s fortification history began in the second quarter of the 19th century.
The Kronprinz defense barracks were part of the second rampart fortification ring of Koenigsberg. They were erected according to the plan of a general-engineer Ernst Ludwig von Aster.
Construction works were officially begun with a foundation stone laying ceremony on 15 October 1843. Construction was completed in 1849.
Barracks were occupied by the elite units of the Koenigsberg garrison immediately after their completion. They hosted the First Grenadier Regiment, whose grenadiers were called «crown princes» in Koenigsberg.
After 1890 the importance of the barracks as a fortification declined, and the casemates were rebuilt as living quarters. After World War I police units were housed in the defense barracks.
Barracks has housed the Koenigsberg police, the military exchequer of the Wehrmacht, the headquarters of the First Division, depots and different municipal services since 1933.
In April 1945 there were fierce battles at the barracks walls, but they did not undergo the assault and were surrounded by Soviet troops until the general capitulation.
After the war a penal battalion, which took part in the assault of Koenigsberg, was quartered in the barracks.
In the 1950s it housed a tank repair training regiment and a motor battalion in training. Since the 1970s, a nautical school, a dormitory, fishing industry companies, and warehouses have been located here.
In 2003 Tower Kronprinz was placed in management of the National Centre for Contemporary Arts in order to locate a state museum of contemporary art in Kaliningrad. At the moment reconstruction and restoration works carried out with the financial assistance of the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation are in progress.
The architectural project of the Tower Kronprinz.
Author’s Group: Yury Zabuga (Kaliningrad), Mikhail Khazanov, Mikhail Mindlin (Moscow)